Friday, January 03, 2003

Our New Year's Eve was simply wonderfuly. We played Disney Trivia together after dinner. While Tabitha was in her bath, we set the clock ahead 3 hours and celebrated midnight at 9:00pm our time with the East coast. MTV was live from Times Square, so Tabitha got to see the ball drop. She and I had gone to the store that morning and bought hats, horns, noise makers and poppers. She loved it all. Gee, a 3 year old who loves noise, who would have thought it? LOL We got her to bed and then Chris and I made our crockpot fondue, didn't work. It tasted fine, but it stuck to the sides of our pot and was generally just a big hassled. We'll stick to the regular method of fondue from now on. Anyway, we watched our 2 hour episode of Firefly from a couple weeks ago. We watched a few other things on tv and did our kiss at midnight. We ended up getting to bed around 1:30am.
New Year's Day, Tabitha and I let Chris sleep in, then we all got ready and went to the zoo for a few hours. It was kind of crowded, but at the zoo, it really doesn't matter. After that we went to Ikea, that was a madhouse. The play area was actually full and Tabitha was very sad. I sat on a bence to console her and saw a dad come up to get his two kids. So Chris quickly got over there and managed to get our kid in. It was only for half and hour, but she was happy. I had wanted to buy a replacement bowl for one I broke last month, but there was no way I was standing in those lines. After dinner that night, we went to Baskin Robbins again for ice cream. Twice in a week is a bit much and I had to explain to Tabitha that it's supposed to be a special treat to do occasionally.
Thursday we went to return a couple things to Toys R Us, exchange our Back to the Future DVDs for the widescreen version at Best Buy, and used my gift certificate at the Clinique counter at Robinson's-May. After lunch we decided to go to Disneyland for a bit. That was a mistake! I haven't worked there in 3 years and have forgotten when it's busy and when it's not. It was more than busy yesterday. Just insane. We did get to see Terk though, a character Tabitha's never met. So I got a picture for her scrapbook, but I'm not sure it was worth it. We got Tabitha a few more pressed pennies and then got out of there. Had a nice evening at home. We did go to Sav-On because I wante to look at workbooks for Tabitha. I hate spending money on such a consumable good when I can get free sheets off the internet, but she really does enjoy doing them for whatever reason. I gave her a choice between 2 workbooks and 3 reading books and she chose a Disney kindergarten numbers and counting book. It won't challenge her at all, but it will help with following directions and she considers it great fun.
Today we have a playdate.


Friday, January 03, 2003 con't

*sigh of happiness* we're just a happy family :) I love evenings such as we had tonight. Tabitha was rather entertaining while Chris and I finished our dinner. While he and I cleaned up the kitchen, Tabitha was pretending to be various animals, an aardvark, a pig, a giraffe, and a kangaroo, and was eating her popcorn the way the corresponding animal would. We were looking up the way animals eat in our children's dictionary and encyclopedia. Chris and I were playing along plus laughing at our own jokes in the kitchen. We're not a perfect family, but we're just perfect enough for us.


Monday, January 06, 2003

I've gotten more scrapbook layouts done, Hades and Frollo. They're linked in the left column. Last night we went out to dinner and in the parking lot, our city's Rose Parade float was on disply. I took pictures, but sadly, it was too dark and they didn't come out. Tabitha just loved it! She's so into flowers and parades, so she really enjoyed watching the Rose Parade on tv. So, I knew we just had to take her to see the float. I think next year we'll go to Pasadena to see all the floats on display.
We were supposed to have a playdate this morning but it got postponed until tomorrow. Tabitha and I organized instead. I've decided the problem isn't that Tabitha has too many toys (though many people would disagree with me), the problem is they are all BIG toys. They take up too much space. We organized her dress up area and her doll area. Then we hit the playroom and I put up a shelf for her Magic Talk princess toys. I'm going to have to put up another shelf as well, but I'm going to wait until Chris is home because it's hard to do it by myself. Tabitha tried to help, but the shelf is heavy and she couldn't hold it up that well. Overall, I'm pleased though, things look much neater now. We're watching a Little People video now. Creepy little things with their big hands. I'm going to have the song stuck in my head all day.


Monday, January 06, 2003 con't

Just wanted to share two things. First, I got a call from Ultimate Collectors and it looks like they want me to be on their show! Really bizarre. Taping should be next week or the week after, I'll keep you posted.
Secondly, I finished Tabitha's tea party invitations today. I'm really pleased with how they turned out. Below is the front on the left and the back on the right (with our address and phone number whited out).


Wednesday, January 08, 2003

We had a lovely playdate yesterday. Out of all of Tabitha's friends, there are two sisters that she doesn't seem to play well with. She loves them and they love her, but they always seem to clash for whatever reason. We went to their house last week and the 3 of them got along beautifully. Yesterday, just one of them came over since the other was back in Kindergarten, and they were no major issues at all. They were doing do well that we left them with Chris and went to a scrapbook store for a bit. After they left, I got a phone call asking if it was okay for Tabitha to be a flower girl in a family friend's upcoming wedding. Of course we said yes, I know she'll love it! So we went out to the Bridal store last night to try on dresses. It was quite the ordeal for a variety of reasons. Mainly, the wedding "consultant" seemed not to understand that her job was to help. She wouldn't listen to anyone and was off running around more than she was doing anything to help. We were done a half hour after we got there, but didn't get to leave until almost 3 hours later. Pure torture. I had brought a big bag of stuff for Tabitha, but there was no where I could put her to let her play. She was a real trooper, but I felt so bad for her. She didn't get to bed until 9:30 and was up at 6:50 this morning. Hopefully she'll get a good night's sleep tonight because we're spending the day at Disneyland tomorrow. Today is the first day of Mommy and Me class. It's been nice not having to go the last 4 weeks, but Tabitha misses her friends. I miss mine too, I just hate having to do something at a certain time. I think it's residual rebellion left over after all those years of school followed by working for 7 years.


Friday, January 10, 2003

5:00AM and here I sit. I had a weird dream that resulted in me waking up mad, then I noticed I didn't have any blankets and tried to get some back, then Tabitha calls me to put her blankets on, and when I went back to bed, I started coughing and couldn't stop. So.. here I sit. Today we're taking Tabitha to her first dentist appt. Yes, I know, she's almost 4 and should have gone at the latest last year, but we just have to hope no damage has been done by us waiting. She's pretty excited and I hope it goes smoothly. After that we're going to sign her up for dance, go to the post office, get some reprints, have lunch with my mother in-law and go to a gift shop. We're getting such an early start we should be home by 1:30.
We went to Disneyland yesterday for a few hours. Got to see Jim Hawkins and BEN from Treasure Planet. After we ate lunch we went over to California Adventure because we had special tickets to see the Aladdin stage show. The show wasn't any different than last time, but last night we got to meet the cast members outside afterwards. It really is a great show and we've heard rumors that if it's well received they do have a full length version ready to go to Broadway. I hope so, I'd love to see it on a larger scale.


Monday, January 13, 2003

Tabitha's dentist appt. went really well. Her teeth look healthy and strong and Tabitha completely listened to everything she was told to do and loved the dentist. Yesterday I went to my monthly scrapbooking crop. I got 4 layouts done, which is double what I usually get done. We spend so much time eating and talking that not much else happens, lol. But since I'm on a deadline for Tabitha's book, I was motivated to talk less. We also took a field trip to a new scrapbook store. 8 women piling out of an Excursion and swooping down on this new store was a sight to see, I'm sure. I haven't scanned any of the layouts, so I can't share yet. I only got half a layout done today because we had a playdate today. Tabitha was in a weird mood and not the most social child today. I can't even really tell you what was wrong, I think she just wasn't in the mood to play. Plus, the two children that were here are more into parallel play than Tabs and I think that bothered her. She wants to play *with them, not next to them. So, she sat in the living room with us moms and a baby. But, no fights broke out, which is good. And it's always fun to listen to three girls squeal the way only girls can :)


Wednesday, January 15, 2003

Today was class pictures at Mommy and Me. We took one group pic of all of us on the playground. Hopefully Tabitha was looking at the camera, we were right up front at least. The photographer also had set up a suitcase and old fashioned clothes and was taking the pics with the sepia cast. I wasn't going to do that with Tabs, because we just picked up her winter pics on Monday and we're taking birthday pics next week. But it was just too cute to resist. I think they're going to be just adorable. She'll bring the proofs in next week.
So we come home from class and eat lunch, then Chris leaves for work and I start quiet time. While I'm in there scrapping, I feel so guilty because that's roughly 2 hours a day I'm not spending with Tabitha and I feel bad for shutting myself in the playroom. But I'm doing it so I can work on her birthday gift, so I shouldn't feel guilt, right? *sigh The things I ponder when I have solitude for a couple hours. I'm not behind in my layouts, but I think I'll work some more after Tabitha goes to bed tonight. I'd really like to not feel rushed at the end of the month. Tomorrow, we scrub the house because the camera crew comes on Friday! Eek! I keep contemplating canceling because I think I have a bit of stage fright. I'm afraid I'll look and sound like an idiot. Wish me luck! I probably won't post until after they leave on Friday!


Saturday, January 18, 2003

The shoot was just a nightmare. It took 7.5 hours and I was more than happy to see them all go. I was annoyed with how many times they filmed the exact same thing at 12 different angles. The producer kept asking me to say things that I just wasn't going to say. I'm not going to make it seem like I'm this cow freak who must have something with a cow on it at all costs! I'm not an idiot (in my opinion, lol) and I refuse to say something that will make me sound like one. I just collect things with cows, it's not my life's mission. I probably never should have done the show in the first place. I wanted to say no ever since the phone interview and I should have gone with that feeling. But it's done with now and out of my hands. I did find out that it won't air until March, I'll let you all know.
I don't think I mentioned that Chris and I ordered the Weight Watchers at home kit. It came on Thursday and we officially started counting points yesterday. Since we read every label on everything we eat anyway, it's not that big of a deal to figure out points. I already know my food weakness, chips, especially between lunch and dinner. Now it's just a matter of controlling my portions. I like that there aren't any no-no foods. I had a 1/2 cup of fudge brownie ice cream today and that's no problem. I know it works as long as we stick with it. And of course, it will work much better if we up our activity level, but we're not very good in that department. So, we'll see. We bought our first scale today and my starting weight is exactly what I thought.
Tabitha and I played beauty parlor today. I gave her a pedicure and I curled her hair. I didn't spray the curls or anything so they won't last long, but they did look just beautiful. I've been thinking of curling her hair for the wedding she's going to be in. While I was curling her hair I asked her if there was anything she wanted to talk about and she said yes. So I asked what and do you know what she wanted to talk about? Cereal! Crazy kid. Gotta love her :)


Monday, January 20, 2003

Tabitha and I just got back from a lovely time at the park. We would have stayed longer but it suddenly got cold and I was shivering while sitting on the bench. There was a little boy there with his grandmother and he told Tabitha that his mom works a lot. Tabitha told him that her mom works at home and we have big fun days together. Warm fuzzy feeling for me! He had an odd way of speaking, I was never sure if he was talking in anger, being mean or that's just how he talks. In any case, Tabitha seemed to have fun playing with him. Then another little boy showed up with his mom. He was dressed in sweats with loafers and a sweater vest. I kept expecting to see a little bow tie. Mom had on this huge bulbous hat, with all her hair inside, a leather skirt, fishnets and knee high leather boots! I found it very hard not to stare, let me tell you. Before the other kids got there, I got some great pictures of Tabitha playing. I've been having fun with the sepia effect on my camera. I forgot I had it until last week! I pushed her on the swing a bit and then decided to swing myself. Nice and high I went! We both got on a space shuttle that's on a spring. It's made for two people and I did fit in the back seat. But, since I weigh a heck of a lot more than a 3 year old, it bounced too far and Tabitha hit her nose on the handle! Ouch! Thank goodness there wasn't any blood or swelling. I don't think we'll be trying that again.
Okay, I just noticed that the date under my picture up top still said 2002! I'm a dork.


Wednesday, January 22, 2003

I had to do something today that I'm not happy with. Maybe it wasn't even the right thing to do, I don't know. My child, as many people know, has quite a bit of toys. I've had people tell me that there is less toys at their house and they have 3 kids. There are a few reasons she has so many and really, it doesn't matter why. The point is, she doesn't appreciate what she has. I know that it is hard for any 3 or 4 year old be grateful for their stuff. But Tabitha has been saying for well over a week now that she has nothing to do. She has decided that she is bored constantly. It's like she expects me to put on a 24 hour show for her. She is suddenly incapable of entertaining herself. She only wants to rely on the tv and computer. I also have a kid who is afraid of most movies. So today, while watching a video, she told me that I should have bought her the Winnie the Pooh Halloween movie. I lost it. it was the final straw. She won't play with any of the $5000 worth of toys and she will only watch 3 movies and here she's telling me I "should" have bought her something 3 freakin' months ago! I turned off her video immediately and packed up her toys. The playroom is officially closed to her and her closet is blocked off. Her videos are also put away. She now has all of her books, blocks, Duplos, puzzles, two train sets, her felt sets, crayons, markers, paper, glue, scissors and coloring books and that's it. I want her to appreciate what she *does have and stop focusing on what she doesn't. Sad to say, I'm sure this particular trait comes from me and maybe this is a huge wake up call about my attitude in life. I'm not sure how long this will last or what I'm going to do with the toys. I'm not sure if I'm going to just give half of them away or use a rotation system or eventually give them all back or give her one a week. We'll see. I'd like to point out that she's still not playing with any of the few toys she has right now, she's sitting on the rocking ottoman singing. I'm still not even sure that I did the right thing. Needless to say, this is not a happy house right now.


Thursday, January 23, 2003

Last night while I was reading Tabitha her stories, Bella went under the bed. I didn't feel like dragging her out, so I just left the door a bit open so she could come out when she wanted. I went in a half hour later because I had left my slippers in there and saw the two of them sleeping. It was too adorable and I ran for my camera.
Today we have Tabitha's birthday pictures! I love getting her picture taken. We're going to Penneys and they have a tea set, so we're definitely going to get her picture with it to go with her party theme. I'm going to maybe get it in black and white. After we're done there, we're doing a bit of party shopping. We have to go to the party store, and also some thrift stores to look for tea cups and hopefully a tea pot. And we'll stop by Toys R' Us to buy a birthday gift for a party we're going to this weekend. At some point we need to get to a grocery store as well. Not sure if we'll head to Disney later or not, we usually do on Thursdays.
Tabitha and I had quite a few discussions last night on the toy issue. She initiated all of them, but they weren't tantrums or crying fits or anything, we just talked. She's starting to understand what I'm talking about when I say she needs to appreciate what she does have and stop focusing and what she doesn't have at the moment. She says she's not mad at me, just sad at me, lol.


Tuesday, January 28, 2003

Only 2 more days until my baby's birthday! Woo-Hoo!
Tabitha started dance class on Saturday. We have the same teacher as last summer, but this time there will be a recital at the end of the semester. Her costume fitting is in two weeks, she's going to be so cute! This is one of the benefits of having a girl :)
The scrapbook is just about done, I'm sure I'll be up a bit late tomorrow night. I've been working on it steadily, but haven't scanned anything for weeks. Too lazy. I do want to get them all scanned so I can add them to my scrapbook page. Tomorrow night we'll decorate the house and wrap her gifts and I'll get weepy just like I always do. I like to remember the night before she was born in great detail and then cry a little. I'm such a sap.
Tomorrow we have a field trip to the Post Office. I don't imagine it will be too terribly exciting, but Tabitha is interested in mailing letters, so I hope she enjoys it.
Oh, I'm in the middle of switching hosts for my website, so if my site is a bit wonky or you experience broken links, I'm sorry. All should be well by Friday. I had to switch every single one of my pages over to my new host. It took me more than 3 solid hours of sitting here. My back and neck were so sore. Then, I got a paper cut on the tip of my middle finger on my right hand. It hurts like no tomorrow and all the typing irritated it a bit more. I never knew how much I relied on this finger until I couldn't use it. I can't even wash my face properly!
We went to a King's hockey game last night with my bil and his girlfriend. I guess it was fun. The Kings lost but more than that, I just feel I have nothing to say to my bil's girlfriend. I like her and want to talk with her, but she's a 19 year old college student, we have no common ground. I'm just not good at starting conversations sometimes, especially when I feel that I *should say something. At least I like her 1000 times better than his last girlfriend.


Wednesday, January 29, 2003

Man, was the Post Office tour boring! The lady had no idea how to talk so this age group would be interested. Heck, I'm 28, understood every word and it bored me to tears! She really needed to condense her explanations, I don't think I single kid got anything out of the tour. Tabitha and I had a side conversation about the environment and that the post office trucks are electric, but that's it. I think we'll skip out on this trip next year.
I did our taxes today. We're getting about 1/3 back that we usually get so I'm a bit bummed. I had planned to use the money to buy Tabitha's new bed, mattress, bedding and table and chair set. Now, I can buy everything but the bed, or most of the bed. But, at least we don't owe, right?
After Chris gets home, we're going to decorate the dining room and blow up all the balloons. I'm also taking down all the candles from Tabitha's countdown cake and we'll just put up the 4 for tomorrow. In the morning, we'll wake her up by singing Feliz Cupleaņos and then Happy Birthday. I'm making her an M&M pancake with Happy Birthday spelled on it and I'll light candles as well. After she eats we'll let her open her gifts. My mil is picking us up about 9:00 to go to Disneyland. We have reservations for one of the character breakfasts (a different one than last year) at 10:00 and then we'll spend the day having fun. I'm sure we'll all go out to dinner as well and the waiters will sing to Tabitha which she just loves :) Friday, we'll spend the day getting ready for Saturday's tea party. It's going to be so cute! I'm off to make dinner now.


Saturday, February 01, 2003

All of our birthday plans have gone great so far! Thursday, was Tabitha's actual birthday. We let her open her gifts from us when she woke up. She liked all her gifts and was very excited to get the Disney Scrapbook from me, 2 Playstation games from Chris, and a birthday Kelly doll and Little Bear viewmaster reels from both of us. But if you ask her what she got, she'll tell you, very excitedly, I might add, that she got Tigger bubbles! The best gift is never the one I think it's going to be, lol. Oh, and she loved getting a birthday pancake. Disneyland was wonderful, as I knew it would be. We went to the character breakfast at the Paradise Pier Hotel. Only 3 characters, Minnie Mouse, dressed in a party dress, Max (Goofy's son, for those not up on their Disney knowledge) and Genie from Aladdin. Max and Genie were both extremely attentive and Genie was down right hilarious. He totally played to us adults. The buffet was really good and I think we stayed about an hour and a half. We headed into Disneyland after that. Tabitha got lots of attention. We went to story time and they've changed it. It used to be a story with one of the princesses, but on Thursday there was a story with Mary Poppins and we saw a story with Alice. She told the story of The 3 Little Pigs. We went on a few rides and then headed over to California Adventure. We didn't all go on all the rides for various reasons and one time when I sat out with my mil, we had one of the most in depth and best talks we've every had. I always feel for her in that I seriously doubt I'm the way she and my fil pictured the girl who would marry their son. I'm sure she thinks I'm more than a little kooky (but in a loving way, lol). But it felt really good to have a few nice talks with her. After the rides, we all played some of the games at the board walk area and Tabitha got 2 nice stuffed animals. Then we headed back to Disneyland where my mil and Tabitha watched the Buzz Lightyear show and my bil, his girlfriend, Chris and I went on a few big rides. We rarely get to go on them because of Tabitha and it was a lot of fun goofing off together. My bil and his girlfriend left after that and the rest of us stayed for the parade. I saw a friend I used to work with. I haven't seen her in close to 5 years. She looked the same, but at the same time, she looked different, not that that makes any sense at all! I guess she just looked older and more mature than I remember her. I mean, she is a year or 2 older than me so she's about 30, but I just still pictured her the way she used to look. It's a shame we lost touch, she was even one of my bridesmaids. That's all I'm going to write now, I'll talk about her party tomorrow.


Tuesday, February 04, 2003

Today we went to see Charlotte Diamond in concert. We saw her last year as well. It's kind of like watching the musical version of Romper Room (I know I'm showing my age here). But the kids love it and we all had a good time.
Let me tell you about Tabitha's party from Saturday. When the kids arrived, I took a picture of each of them with Tabitha. Then Tabitha handed them a party horn and they spent the first half hour jumping around and blowing thier horns. After they got tired of that, they sat down and colored in pictures that we printed that had some kind of tea pot or tea party design. Then we gave them frames made out of craft sticks and they colored the frames and decorated them with stickers. While they were doing that, I printed the pictures I took of them as they came in. Each child got a picture of themself with Tabitha to put in their frames. Next was a game of toss the bean bag into the tea pot. They really enjoyed throwing the bean bags! Only one child actually got one into the pot. But I had a prize for everyone so that was okay. Next we set up the sand are station. We bought a kit from Crayola that included 8 plastic bottles and 6 colors of sand. It was a big hit, but took a long time for each child so I had them do a bit more coloring and then went ahead and served the food. After they had all finished eating and almost all the sand art was done, I set them up on the floor in the living room with Tabitha's two Disney talking tea sets for the tea party. At the holiday party in Dec. they played with the tea set for half an hour. At the *tea party, they played about 10 minutes. Figures. But the party was running late anyway, so we just served the cake and then they watched Tabitha open her presents, then we gave them their goody bags and said good-bye :) I think everyone had a lot of fun. Tabitha is already talking about what kind of party she wants next year!