September 16, 2002

Well, my back is better, but I'm still a little uncomfortable. I can sit for longer periods of time and bending isn't quite so bad. Chris came home a little early yesterday and did some things I couldn't and then started dinner. Plus I got two massages. Those coupled with IB-profen are keeping the pain at bay. Last night after dinner we all went to Baskin Robbins for a treat. One of these nights we're going to get a mini ice cream cake just for the heck of it. I need to get some Level 1 books for Tabitha to read. I've been holding off, but now she knows enough of the phonograms that I think she could get through the books with just a little help. I haven't introduced a new sound in a while, we've been reviewing and getting her more proficient at the sounds she does know. Trying to make her reading sound more natural and not quite so stilted. The next sound I want to work on is the soft -CE at the ends of words. The problem is sometimes the vowels are short and sometimes they are long depending on the number of consonants which I'm not sure I can explain to a 3 year old. Right now she's playing with her puzzle train set and singing a song about trains. Very fun to listen to her. As soon as I sign off we'll go play a game (she's already chosen Cootie) and then I'll have her read a bit.


September 17, 2002

My back is still giving me trouble. I'll be fine and then I'll bend over and it will really hurt. Or like when I was sitting cross-legged on Tabitha's bed last night to read her stories, it started to hurt again. I'd really like to go to a chiropractor but I think I need to go to a dr. to get a referral first in order for our insurance to pay for it. Chris re-wired our Tivo last night and now we can record two shows at once. We didn't know how much we needed this until we did it :) Chris is trying to talk me into a new TV. He'd get an incredible deal but it's, are you ready for this?, 80-inches! Can you even imagine? It's 6 feet tall by 5 feet wide. We have a 45" right now and that's pretty big, but an 80" is a "dream come true" according to Chris. It's not like we have a big living room. I'm not sure I want it, but the only reason I can come up with is because it's so big so I'm sure Chris will get his dream TV. At least if we get it, I can do a good deed and give our TV to our friends who only have a 20". They'd probably love it. Dodger's beat the Giants last night! Now they're tied for the Wild Card. They play 3 more games against each other and if the Dodgers can sweep that would be a very good sign. I'm so stoked. I hope, I hope, I hope the go to the play-offs! I haven't been excited about the Dodgers since they traded my beloved Mike Piazza. This is literally the first season I've cared in all that time. Chris will be off to work soon and then I'll get a little housework done and play with Tabs. I'm feeling the need to play with her fashion plate. I wish I could scrapbook, but my back probably won't let me. And of course, at 7:10, I'll be plopped on my couch cheering on my boys in blue :)


September 17, 2002 con't

I got a catalog from Oriental Trading Co. and there is tons of stuff for Tabitha's Holiday Party! I'm so happy that I can get all the crafts and goodie bag items in one place. They also have a few things that I want and a little something for my mom's birthday. Not sure when we'll have the party, but I do know we won't be inviting Santa this year! It was such a disaster last year. First, Santa tried to cancel on me a week before the party. Then they assured me they would get a replacement. Well, it was this guy's first day and he stunk. He just didn't get the fact that he was there for the kids and didn't do anything "Santa-like". Then, I had 2 guests who wanted nothing to do with him. So, all in all, it wasn't worth the headache. We'll see Santa at Mommy and Me (he'll bear a startling resemblance to Chris, but don't tell Tabitha that, lol) and we'll be invited to another party that we went to last year that had the best Santa Claus, so we'll still have a wonderful, personal experience. The reason I'm thinking of the Holiday Party now is because, well, first of all, I love planning parties, the catalog came today and really got me thinking about it, and a friend of mine does a Halloween party so I can't do one of those. So now, I just need $100 to order all this stuff. But if I order before Oct. 2 it's free shipping, lol.


September 18, 2002

Well, I woke up with my back in excruciating pain again. So, I go to see a chiropractor on Friday. I really hope he can help because I'm getting tired of not being able to move comfortably. We left Mommy and Me early because of my back, but Tabitha was very good about it. We got to tye-dye her shirt and I think we did a good job. I'm not fond of the fact that she's supposed to where it to every field trip with 40 other kids, but I'll get over it. At least the parents don't have to wear one. We took a little trip to Toys R Us today. Just to look and see if any of the new toys were out. They had a few computer games that interested me, but none of the new toys I've been looking forward to seeing. One thing was brand new Cabbage Patch Kids! You have no idea how excited I was to see them. They were totally cute and bigger than the crappy ones Mattel has been putting out for years now. I want so many of them. Sadly, they were rather expensive but hopefully I can get 2 or 3 for Christmas. My collection is actually residing in the garage right now as I just haven't felt the same love for them that I used to feel. But seeing these new ones really brought back the old excitement. Now I'm back to thinking about how I can get them back in the house. So, tomorrow, Tabitha and I have a park date with new friends. Or, at least I hope they become new friends. I'm really looking forward to it and I know Tabitha is as well. After we come home, we don't really have plans for the day. I don't even know what we're doing for lunch or what I'm cooking for dinner. Something easy, in case I need Chris to cook though because of my back. Well, I'm off to collect Tabitha from the backyard. She was trying to get in some last minutes of playing while there was daylight. But now it's time to start our "bedtime business". And then it's Dodger time for me and Chris!


September 21, 2002

Sorry I've been so lax in posting. Having Chris home for an extra day, I obviously would rather be with him than sitting at the computer. Also, it still hurts for me to sit for too long at one time. Thursday morning Tabitha and I had a park date with another homeschooling family in our area. It went really well. I enjoyed the mom's company very much, and I don't think I said anything to put her off of me, and the girls seemed to get along. She has two girls, one is 3 months older than Tabitha and the other is almost exactly 1 year younger. So, it was a good match and we're definitely going to get together again in a couple weeks. After we had lunch at home, Chris and I decided to take Tabitha to Disney (yes, again). We went to California Adventure first and saw a new show based on A Bug's Life. It was Madame Butterfly's dancing school and Tabitha got to be one of the dancers on stage. After a while we went over to Disneyland and had some fun there and finally left around 7:30pm. Yesterday I got all my pictures of Tabitha with Disney Characters in the mail. I'm so excited because now I can get started on her album! Although, I'll only be able to scrap after she goes to bed so she won't see her gift. Chris and I have been joking that we either need to move my craft table into the living room, or the playstation and a tv into the playroom so we'll actually see each other after Tabitha goes to bed. I had my appointment with the chiropractor yesterday. I really liked him, which is good. We talked for a while, then he took a couple x-rays, and then he did a few adjustments. I'm supposed to ice my back a few times a day. We were supposed to talk about my x-rays today and then talk about our course of action, but I just didn't feel like going back today so we're rescheduling for Tuesday. Overall, the dr. said he didn't see or feel anything seriously wrong and this really shouldn't be that big of a deal, treatment wise which is good news. I really just want to stop being so darn uncomfortable. Chris goes back to work this afternoon and then he works tomorrow morning so it's just me and Tabitha. It's feeling kind of hot so I'll probably let her play in her sprinkler while I relax. I'll try and play games with her, but it's hard for me to sit on the floor. I got some new books for her yesterday, so I might have her read to me for a while. I don't even want to talk about the Dodgers right now :(


September 21, 2002 con't

I can't tell you what it does to me to see my child reading a book by herself. Not lessons, but for pleasure. I'm so proud of her. She just continues to amaze me everyday. When we went to the bookstore yesterday, I specifically wanted to get some books that Tabitha could take off the shelf and sit down and read without our help and without being told to read. We found a wonderful set of 4 called Mouse Goes Out by Phyllis Root. These are not complex stories. Many of the level 1 and level 2 books for kids are just a little too long to hold the interest of a 3 year old, but these are just right. The Now I'm Reading series of books are also fabulous, but these are what I use for lessons for Tabitha to read to me, so she doesn't view them as books to read for pleasure. But I do highly recommend them in conjuction with learning to read phonics. Anyway, I just had to share this picture I took. I'm feeling a little bored and restless this afternoon, so I'll probably write again.


September 22, 2002

Well, Tabitha has a cold. A couple kids had runny noses at Mommy and Me last Wednesday and now she has a little cold. She's a trooper and being sick doesn't affect her disposition too much. She gets a little more baby-like but that's it really. It's actually kind of hard to convince her she needs to rest. So, I'm loading her up on good foods and making her rest. Right now she's watching her "Little Bear" video, again. We'll get her off to bed early tonight since she woke up an hour and a half earlier than usual this morning. I'm washing my hands like crazy so hope I don't get it!


September 23, 2002

You know, I've seen it happen on TV a million times. And now it happened to me. I have, or shall I say "had", a necklace with a circle, kind of like a very small ring, that was covered in emeralds. It was given to me by my in-laws a few years ago. The circle slipped off the chain and went down the drain in my bathroom. The phone rang, and it was my mil. Kind of spooky. It's obviously just in the U-pipe, but I can't do anything about it right now. Hopefully Chris can save it for me when he gets home.
Chris had a mid-morning meeting this morning so Tabitha and I decided to take him to work. We then went to a friend's house to play. Two 3 year olds, especially girls, can be very LOUD! One was hitting, one was taking, and both were shouting. My nerves were shot. My friend went to pick up her older child from school and then we all went out to lunch and did a little shopping. It's gift time at the Clinique counter at Macy's. After the mall we headed to a scrapbook store only to find out they're closed on Mondays. So, we just said our good-byes and Tabitha and I came home. I set up her train track for her (I love laying tracks) and she's playing with it and her wooden blocks right now. I'm going to sit at the computer for a little while and then lay on the couch and watch a little TV. My back is sore from all the sitting in the car and then at lunch and it needs to rest. At some point I need to do today's housework, but it might wait until after I put Miss Tabitha to bed. Her nose hasn't been running at all today, which is good. Her voice still sounds like she has a cold so we'll do another bath with vapor bubbles tonight and use the vapo-rub on her chest. She should be fine by tomorrow.


September 23, 2002 con't

Tabitha's obsession with Little Bear is reaching new levels. For her, anyway. Commonplace for her age group. When she was obsessed with Peter Pan, she insisted that she *was* Peter Pan. We have the costume which helped furthur her quest to be Peter. She watched the movie once a day, but never asked to watch it more than that. We listened to the soundtrack non-stop (she literally wore it out, it has skips at the end. I didn't know you could wear out a cd). We managed to get her the beanie dolls off ebay and we turned the playroom into a Peter Pan oasis. Then she moved on to Robin Hood. Now this obsession was limited to the daily watching of the movie, us singing OO-de-lolly constantly, and Tabitha playing with the Robin Hood beanies (again, acquired off ebay). She has never liked the show Little Bear. In our prize package from Nick Jr. we received a Little Bear video with four episodes. She is watching it 2 or 3 times a day. Emily and Little Bear are her new best friends. In fact, I've been informed that Emily lives with us because she doesn't have a mom and dad. She re-enacts all off the episodes from the video, practically word-for-word, I might add. She sits on only half a chair so that there is room for Emily. She doesn't sleep with a stuffed animal anymore because she has Emily and all her Little Bear friends. I told Tabitha she was my favorite little person in the whole world. Does she say thank you? Does she say "you're my favorite too, mom"? No. She says "Not Emily and Little Bear?" I know it's normal, but it's not normal for her and it's taking some getting used to.


September 24, 2002

Today is such a blah day. I don't feel like doing anything at all. It's so hot, but worse than the hot, is the smoke. There's a huge fire nearby and we are literally blanketed in smoke. I'm not even letting Tabitha outside because it's just not healthy to breathe. Yesterday was supposed to be 103 here, but the smoke kept it a little lower than that. I hate fire season. So much devastation. It's horrible for the environment. They think this one was started by a barbeque. Stupidity is why 4300 acres are burning down right now. You can see the flames from the surrounding hills here. It was fascinating and scary all at once. I had Chris drive me to the top of the hills so I could take a picture last night, but my digital camera just wasn't good enough for the distance.
Tomorrow we go to the fair. I'm really looking forward to it, though the fairgrounds are even closer to the fire, so the smoke might be worse than it is here. We're meeting our Mommy and Me class in the morning and doing a tour of the farm area and then we'll be on our own. We'll have lunch (10 pound buns!), ride rides, take Tabitha to the kids' wilderness area and then drop her off with my mil. Then Chris and I will go back to the fair to do some serious shopping! We're such suckers for all the gadgets, but that's what makes the fair fun.


September 26, 2002

The fair was so much fun! Chris and I are exhausted, we're all red, and I'm still stuffed from the food I ate. But, I have so many more memories to add to my life now. Last year when we took Tabitha, she threw a tantrum about an hour after we got there and kept crying about going on more rides. Eventually, we had enough and took her to my fil as soon as he got home from work and Chris and I went back by ourselves. So this year, we simply planned to take her to my in-laws in the afternoon so we could go back. We went with our Mommy and Me class and were told to be there early. So that meant we stood around for an hour before they let us in. They let the school groups in an hour before the fair opened, but only into the farm area. So we saw some animals, and then a milking demonstration, got some free milk, went to watch the sheep being shorn and then we were released from staying with the group (thank goodness!). So we did some of the farmer activities for Tabitha, they had little ride on tractors so they could check their crops, an area to see mommy animals with their babies, a small petting zoo, and a Ralphs Jr. where they had scaled down shopping carts and the kids had to get what was on their shopping list. Too Cute! Then we went to some rides and Tabitha went on two rides and a fun house. The other rides were, of course, "too fast" for her taste. Next we had a Ten Pound Bun for lunch, which was faboulous, then went to the Education Expo to see all the artwork from the school-age kids. After that we headed over to the Garden Pavilion which was probably Tabitha's favorite part of the day. She smelled every single flower in there and then went in and out of all the outdoor landscaping displays "discovering". She loved when she found a spot with a gazebo or rocks to sit on. I finally sat down and Chris followed her for awhile on the hills so she could keep discovering. Next was a break for Dippin' Dots and ice water. Eventually we made it over to the Kids Wilderness Hall that had some hands-on activities for the kids. After that we went in search of the Doo-Dah birds so Tabitha could make some sand art. We could not find them at all. By this time it was 3:30 so we decided to head out. I had promised Tabitha one balloon from the souvenir stands. Guess what she chose?

Can you believe this monstrosity? It is, of course, her new best friend. We went home so I could jump in the shower and change, my mil picked up Tabitha, and then Chris and I headed back. We ate a plate of fried mushrooms, zucchini and artichoke hearts first. I've never had fried artichoke hearts but they were great! Then the browsing in the shopping buildings began. And that's pretty much what we did for the next 4 and a half hours. We didn't really buy anything, except more food, but it was still wonderful. A great day :) Today I don't think I'm even getting dressed. We're just going to sit around the house and then tonight Chris and I are going to see our friend's band The Friendly Indians play. We haven't seen them for a while so we're looking forward to it.


September 27, 2002

Yesterday and today we've just been bumming around. Last night, Chris and I went out for a few hours, and that was fun. But today we've just sat around. We tried to catch up on some tv. Our poor Tivo must be tired from all the recording it did this week. After we'd had enough tv, the 3 of us played a couple games together. Now, Chris is playing his playstation 2, Tabitha is watching a video, and I'm bumming around on the internet. We did take our dog for a walk earlier to get us out of the house for awhile. I took my camera with me, but I wasn't seeing anything that really struck me of "photo-worthy". Thankfully I can always take a picture of Tabitha :) Chris helped me with some prep work for dinner today. Usually Tabitha helps me, but it was kind of nice to have Chris with me. I enjoyed the companionship. Of course, Tabitha was greatly put out when she realized we were done and she didn't get to help. Okay, I'm just rambling now, so I'll sign off. Sorry I didn't have a more interesting day to report. I'll try harder tomorrow, lol.


September 28, 2002

Today is just a weird day for me. First, Chris is at work, whereas he usually closes on Saturdays. So I don't feel like it's the right day. Second, I'm wearing long sleeves, and I'm happy about it. Usually I hate when it's overcast. But, for once in my life I'm actually looking forward to winter. I don't think that's ever happened to me before. I think I'm just more into the holidays than usual this year. Don't get me wrong, I'm always happy when the holidays come, but I can't say that it's normal for me to be quite this excited for them. Tabitha is supposed to be taking a nap right now, which is the last weird thing for today since she doesn't take naps anymore, but I think she's just playing. I haven't checked the monitor so I'm not sure. We're planning on going to Disney after dinner tonight and we'll probably stay pretty late which is why I want her to nap now. But if she doesn't, I'm sure she'll fall asleep in the car on the way there, so she'll still nap one way or another.
I use my digital camera almost exclusively. My new one takes very good pictures and I've been getting them printed through Photoworks. But I haven't been super thrilled with the way they've turned out. I know there is also Snapfish and Ofoto (who I think is through, but I want to know who prints the best. In my opinion, the best prints I've ever gotten were from Ritz Cameras, but they are kind of pricey and the photos are surrounded by white, like older photos, and that can be annoying. Has anyone tried all three of the online printers and have an opinion? If so, please email me and let me know what you think. I'm thinking I may just have to get the same photo printed at each place and then decide for myself if I don't hear from anyone. I'd kind of like to save myself the trouble of doing that though.
I just checked the monitor and I think Tabitha is asleep. It's hard to tell because of the way she's laying I can't see her eyes. But she's not moving and that's a good sign. I think I'll go sit in my comfy chair and do some reading.


September 29, 2002

I finally started Tabitha's Disney Character book! I'm very excited. I did a Monster's Inc. layout last night. I'm still waiting on a few more pictures but basically the project is officially under way. I just know she's going to love having her own scrapbook :)
I started a new thing tonight. Sunday is my day to do the laundry and do the deep cleaning of the house. That way, I only have to do light maintenance the rest of the week. Well, by the time 4:00pm rolls around, I'm too tired to want to cook dinner. So I've decided that we're going out to dinner every Sunday. Tonight we went to Acapulco's but I'm hoping that maybe we can start going to all those restaurants that we always say we're going to go to, but never do. I think I'm going to like having a planned night out as opposed to messing up my weekly menus by deciding last minute to go out to eat. We went to Target after dinner and got Tabitha some rain boots. We're having her picture taken this week in an absolutely adorable rain coat and matching umbrella, but she really needed boots to complete the look. And she'll get some use out of them come rainy season. We're going to go to Kiddie Kandids. We've never been there, but they have the cutest backgrounds. Beside her raincoat shot, we're also going to get one with her dressed as a fairy with a castle in the background. As soon as we get them, I'll start updating Tabitha's Place. You know, it's been nine months since we last had her picture taken. We've never gone that long in her life. The most has been six months. I can't believe we took so long! Besides the rainboots, we got a new book for Tabitha to read for pleasure. We also got a pumpkin decorating set. It's colored pegs that you stick in the pumpkin and they light up. Reminds me of Lite Brite. I think Tabitha will have fun with that. It gets her more involved with the decorating considering she can't cut with a knife. And now Tabs is off to bed and Chris and I have the rest of the evening together.


October 01, 2002

Ah, the first day of October :) We decorated the house for Halloween today. I don't have as many decorations as I'd like, so we're keeping our eyes open for new ones. More than Halloween decorations though, I desperately need Harvest/Fall decorations for November. I have a stuffed turkey, a small scarecrow, a pilgrim cow, and two Winnie the Pooh beanies dressed for Thanksgiving. That's it. Very depressing. But we went to Big Lots today before lunch and found a porcelain Harvest House that lights up. Like my Hallween houses. I think we'll go back and get it. We got a Halloween door hanger because we didn't really have one and also some of the fake spider web and spiders. I'm going to drape it in my living room. My pictures of the day this week will probably be my decorations. Chris is off to work soon. Tabitha and I are doing some work in the house and I'll do lessons with her later. It's very cloudy and overcast and even drizzled this morning but I don't think it's going to full on rain today. Tabitha looks at the weather report in the paper every morning because she wants it to rain so she can go out and play in the puddles. Should be great pictures.


October 03, 2002

We took Tabitha for pictures this morning and they came out so cute! I'm not going to share them yet as I'm waiting until Tabitha's Place is done being updated. Probably tomorrow but maybe not until Sunday. I'll post a link here, plus send an email to her notify list. The pictures are great, but the wait was horrible. Too many people with multiple children trying to get them to smile at the same time. And then it would take them FOREVER to choose their sheets. So much easier with one 3 year old. We took maybe 10 minutes, tops, to have her pose for 6 poses. Then a couple minutes to choose our sheets, pay, and get the pics. We're heading out to watch The Friendly Indians play tonight at the Fullerton Marketplace. It's a farmer's market with a wonderful family atmosphere. I love it because we can take Tabitha since it's outdoors, I don't have to worry about her ears being blown away. She loves it because she can dance and run around, and sometimes go in the bounce house or on the train. My brother in-law and his girlfriend are going to meet us there. I need to take an effort to get to know her better, you never know when he might actually meet the "right one" and I'll get a sister in-law. I'm listening to Tabitha play with her cars and airplanes next to me here, it's too funny. She's making them all talk :) This morning she demonstrated how she's going to dance tonight. I only hope I capture it on camera. She calls it her "hip dance."


October 04, 2002

Today is just wonderful so far :) The sun is shining beautifully, yet, it's fairly cool right now. I didn't turn on the computer when I woke up. Usually that's the first thing I do, and then I sit here for an hour reading emails, doing my banking, entering contests. Not today. I got did all my morning stuff done and then we headed out to the store early so we were home early. Tabitha did some Halloween sticker crafts with her Kid's Club pack from while I cleaned up the kitchen. Then she and I made our salsa and guacomole for dinner tonight then played a game. Now we're eating lunch and I'm going to check email. After lunch she's going to have quiet time while I scrap a bit and then we'll start on the dough for the empanadas. We also need to do our October calendar. I want to make sure that we set a date for all the things I want to do, like make our halloween cookies, and our halloween popcorn balls and when we'll go to halloween events and such. If I don't set a date, the 31st may come and we might not have done anything. I just love when Tabitha cooks with me. It's the kind of thing I used to fantasize about when I was pregnant. It's such a good feeling to work together with her, and I'm not worrying about her lessons, or her behaviour, or if she's getting dirty. I guess it's bonding. Whatever it's called, it really makes me appreciate how lucky I am to have this absolutely wonderful little person in my life.
We had a great time at the show last night. Tabitha had so much fun dancing and she kept doing this hilarious butt dance. Not sure where she picked that up, maybe from watching me do belly dance moves. The music was great, we enjoyed talking with our friends. I didn't really get a chance to talk to my brother in-law's girlfriend. But it was still a wonderful night.
Chris was supposed to start hockey tonight, but it's not until next week now. But he's going to go to practice tonight so I'll definitely have time to work on Tabitha's site. I'm supposed to go scrapbooking tomorrow for my club meeting, but I'm not sure I want to go. I'm seriously considering staying home. I need to decide though so I can let my mother in-law know if she needs to babysit or not.
Hope everyone else is having a great day too!